What Is Shea Butter
Shea Butter originates from the Karite Tree, meaning the "Tree of Life," and is indigenous to Africa. This tree takes 20 years or more to produce its invaluable fruit, the shea nut. The ripened nuts, regarded to as "women's gold" are collected once they fall to the ground and are crushed to extract its butter. This butter is then boiled and strained to filter dirt and impurities.
Shea Butter is known to contain a number of ingredients with biological activity that includes moisturizing and healing skin afflictions.
- Vitamin A - Necessary for healthy skin function, beneficial for blemishes, dermatitis, allergic skin, prevents scarring, anti-aging.
- Vitamin E - acts as an anti-free radical agent with anti-aging benefits, increases micro-circulation of the skin, repairs cellular degeneration, moisturizes skin.
- Essential Fatty Acids - building blocks for the collagen in our skin, promotes tissue repair, prevents scar tissue formation and is anti-aging.
Cinnamic Acid - provides minor natural sun protection
Because of an abundance of healing ingredients and its superior moisturizing activity, Shea Butter is in a unique class as a stand-alone personal care product. Its vitamin-rich micro-structure allows your skin to retain moisture, regain its elasticity and repair cellular degeneration.
Clinical studies have shown that this product transforms the skin in as little as 4-6 weeks into a softer, smoother, and better looking skin as reported by the American Shea Butter Institute. Shea Butter is beneficial for:
- Eczema, psoriasis, dehydrated skin, irritated skin, diaper rash, insect bites, burns
- Full body moisturizer for all skin types, babies to adults
- Protection from the harsh elements and environmental factors
- Stretch marks
BROWN BAG BOTANICALS uses only naturally extracted Shea Butter. Our creations are 100% PURE and are paraben free and petroleum free, meaning our butters are not cut with inferior ingredients such as irritating lanolin or toxic mineral oil.
Shea is non-comedogenic and is a must-have for those who battle with chronic skin ailments, or for those who simply need to quench thirsty skin. Shea Butter is an excellent alternative for those who have highly allergic or sensitive skin.
Here are a few rules to get the most out of your Shea Butter and Body Butter:
- This is the pure butter, not just an ingredient; therefore a little goes a LONG way! It may take several applications to become acclimated to the amount your skin needs. The more you apply, the longer it may take to soak in.
- Shea is solid at room temperature, so the warmer the room the softer the butter, etc. DON'T leave a jar of Shea Butter in your car in the summertime!
- Scoop out a small amount and melt it down in the palms of your hands until it emulsifies, then apply to desired areas.
- Our Shea Butter and Body Butter make nourishing massage butters!
SHOP our selection of organic, handcrafted, signature line of shea body butters.